commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geoff Longman" <glong...@intelligentworks.com>
Subject Re: [Hivemind] Tapestry/HttpSession service
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2004 04:44:33 GMT
What I'm getting at (and not very clearly I now realize) is that:

1. I want a service for each distinct 'chunk' of data/operation in our app
that is not local to one particular page. In our case it much more than just
wizards. The list includes tab groups and use cases.

2. These services should be session local. When a client obtains one from
hivemind, all the magic is done behind the scenes to obtain and restore its
state. At the end of the request, changes made to the service's peristent
data are stored in the session.

3. Ideally the client's registry call would be no different from that made
to obtain any other service. Although, this would probably mean the registry
would need to be changed somehow.

4. The SessionLocalService would not be accessed directly by clients, rather
it would be the coordinator of the 'magic'.

Looks a lot like a Tapestry page, which is session local during a request. A
page instance is pulled from a pool and made session local by setting all of
its persistent properties. In the Tapestry case the persistent state is not
stored at the end of the request, rather its just before the render (after a
possible rewind).

When I get hivemind built in eclipse I'm going to fiddle with this a bit.

Geoff