commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hlshipli...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: [Hivemind] Tapestry/HttpSession service
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:37:26 GMT
Geoff,

I think you are right on to my thinking w.r.t. threaded services. Technically, HiveMind isn't
SOA
because services can have some state. However, I think this is OK. One of the problems with
traditional SOAs is that (due to location and language transparency), they must have complex
parameters to pass and client-specific state.

HiveMind service interfaces are simple because a lot of "conversation" can go on, behind the
scenes,
via threaded/pooled services and event notifications. The public face is simple, the implementation
involves a lot of collaboration. The use of proxies ensures that collaboration occurs properly,
in
accordance with the service model, without any imposition on the client code (or collaborating
service). Things just lock together.

> Create a service called HttpSessionService that is "pooled"
> and has two
> methods

Again, this is just the kind of thing I'm picturing for Tapestry 3.1 ... a central infrastructure
service that "knows" about the current request.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components