commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [digester] Enhancing CallMethodRule to take target offset
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:56:51 GMT
>I don't really understand how XMLBeanFactory can get away without the
>equivalent of Digester's rules, unless the java class names, attribute
>names, etc *must* map 1:1 with the xml element/attribute names.

Well, XMLBeanFactory isn't promising to be as universally useful at
processing XML as Digester, which is how it can get away without
requiring rules to be defined.

The XMLBeanFactory encounters any number of "bean" elements, which
implicitly mean "object-create", but instead of pushing them on a
stack, it puts them in a map (effectively, at least).  Then it has a
standard set-property element, which does what you would expect.
However, the contents of set-property can be literal values or
references to beans which have already been instantiated.

My most common use case for Digester is to instantiate some object
and populate it with values.  I think it's great that Digester can do
a lot more than that, but I feel like I write the same rules over and
over, just hooking them to different element names.  Of course, if
you don't get to define the structure of the XML you are processing,
Digester has all the necessary flexibility and such, but since my XML
files are usually my own invention, it's no big deal to adapt the XML
to whatever tool I'm using.

I just found it convenient in this case to be able to use a name
rather than a known position on the stack to make an "introduction"
between two objects that were instantiated from the XML.  That
sounded a little like your goal to have rules that reach objects in
arbitrary locations on the digester stack, so I piped up.

Note that Spring is a whole lot more than just the XMLBeanFactory,
but I haven't really absorbed all those other layers; I'm not
shopping for a new web app framework, etc.

Hope that helps.

Joe
--
Joe Germuska