commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [digester] Enhancing CallMethodRule to take target offset
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:07:55 GMT
Since you've already got working code, take this as just something to
think about -- but I recently was wishing for a map to complement the
stack; some place to put objects under names and then have other
rules refer to those objects by name.

I ended up using the SpringFramework XMLBeanFactory for this case,
but it may be an idea of interest to other Digester users.

To be honest, besides getting the ability to use objects by name, I
also appreciated not having to write a digester rules file.  (Well, I
had already written one because I started using Digester until I got
to the point where the stack didn't really work for me.)  Most of the
time I'm just instantiating objects, setting properties, and relating
the objects to other, and writing those XML rule files gets kind of
tedious.

This is not to say that Digester should drop everything to "compete"
with the XMLBeanFactory.  I just thought I'd share an interesting
alternative solution.

If a Map for Digester would be interesting to other folks, I might
take a crack at it some time after I get through with my current
project...

Joe

--
Joe Germuska