commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim O'Brien <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject Re: [codec] StatefulDecoders
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:12:05 GMT
Oleg, no one has talked about breaking existing interfaces - 1.2 will
still be supported be (at the very least) by all existing features.

This is more of a discussion of future growth, we are going to find a way
to enable features dependent on 1.4 while still support (creating a
distributable) for 1.2.

Tim

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> Tim, Gary
>
> Currently [Codec] is still Java 1.2 compatible. And yes, there are
> [Codec] users who would like it to stay that way at least for some time.
> Not that we enjoy working around Java 1.2 limitations that much, but we
> simply have obligations to our users as well (there are several
> projects, including Apache ones, dependent on [HttpClient] that need to
> support a wide spectrum of platforms including those that do not have
> modern JDKs).
>
> We will support 1.2 compatible [Codec] branch ourselves, if we
> absolutely have to, but would still very much appreciate if you kept us
> posted before the decision was taken to make [Codec] dependent on Java
> >1.2 features.
>
> I apologize for being such a pain in the rear
>
> Oleg

> > > This brings up an interesting issue: How do we potentially package and
> > > deliver some code that depends on Java 1.4. In a second [codec] jar? I think
> > > we should keep the JRE requirement to a minimum for [codec]. Here, we are
> > > stuck on 1.3.1 for the foreseeable future.
> >
> > We'll tackle the problem of creating a 1.3 compatible release at relase
> > time, but for the time being, I'm not going to reject good code from
> > highly motivated parties within the ASF.  I don't think anyone plans on
> > breaking existing interfaces, but the proposed addition is new
> > functionality.
> >
> >  > Some others, I imagine need 1.2 compatibility.
> >
> > If you are using 1.2, you can expect releases that support 1.2 to be
> > maintained if there are developers with the motivation to maintain these
> > releases.
> >
> > Tim

Tim O'Brien
Evanston, IL