commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [codec] DecoderException superclass [WAS: StatefulDecoders]
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 04:28:37 GMT
>>> Encoder and Decoder are similar to Reader and Writer
>>> which both throw IOException.
>> Note that this would no longer hold true in a push model codec library,
>> since it would not actually perform I/O.
> True, having StatefulDecoder.getDecoded() throw an IOException seems
> fishy.

Agreed.

> StatefulDecoder operates on ByteBuffers

I think we should give serious thought to providing an implementation of
ByteBuffer in our code to bridge between the stream-based wrappers and the
codecs when running Java < 1.4.

> getDecoded() should return an exception if there was a problem
> exception during encoding - say undecodable or unexpected input.

> Again, I'm not convinced that people actually use EncoderException
> and DecoderException.

In my model, whatever we do here is part of the interface between the actual
codec and the wrapper.  We have an opportunity to get it right, and I am not
convinced that we have to expose it as an application API.

	--- Noel

	--- Noel