commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [codec] StatefulDecoders
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:24:44 GMT
> This brings up an interesting issue: How do we potentially package and
> deliver some code that depends on Java 1.4. In a second [codec] jar?

There are several issues, but let me address what I consider to be the key
one: we have to design the core code as push-model.  If we were to design
the code as pull-model, we would lose the thread of execution inside the
callee.  We don't want the callee blocking on I/O and returning when
finished.  But with a non-blocking callee, we can then use either a NIO or
IO wrapper as necessary.

Obviously the interface between the I/O handling wrapper and the data
handling core will have to be Java 2 < 1.4 compatible.

	--- Noel