commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [commons-build] Thoughts on Navigation (client side includes).
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:05:41 GMT
IIRC the main reason used to be lack of appropriate hardware. the ASF
isn't rich and the website has to hosted on machines that the ASF
either owns or has on long term loan. running apache on freeBSD allowed
the ASF infrastructure guru's to host the apache website on a machine
that (these days) could probably be bought for much less than $100 on
ebay. (it really amazed me when i found out exactly how low spec
daedalus was but then the ASF has some of the world's best apache httpd
experts ;)

i believe that there's now a good chance that the ASF might be able to
obtain more hardware on long term loan from sponsors that would allow a
dedicated tomcat hosting machine to be installed. of course,
experienced tomcat system admins would need to step up (AIUI including
one in the bay area of california) before the ASF would sanction such a
machine. these admins would also need to very familiar with securing
linux.

for more information (and better, more authourative answers), i'd
suggest subscribing to infrastructure.

- robert