commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] Enhancing CallMethodRule to take target offset
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:36:41 GMT
On 16 Feb 2004, at 21:33, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

> I'm not sure how your "named stacks" idea differs from this. Can you
> describe how it would be used?

the idea is that rather than having just a single object stored for
each name, stacks (identified by name) are used instead. this allows
nested rules to push and pop in additional to allowing flat rules to
communicate by using a single object on the stack.

you'd have signatures something like:

void push(String stackName, Object value)
Object peek(String stackName)
Object pop(String stackName)

this is a more general form which includes the functionality of the
hash map (rules just use a one-deep stack) but also allows more complex
communication.

> And sorry, but I didn't understand your suggestion about "partial
> mapping" at all!

maybe i'll explain it better some other time. (it's a little involved.)

> NB: I still think that a Digester 1.6 release should come before new
> work like this. There's no reason a Digester 1.7 couldn't be done on a
> much shorter cycle than the last one.

i agree

- robert