commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] Are we ready for 1.0.4?
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:38:33 GMT
On 28 Feb 2004, at 18:17, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> Quoting robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk>:
>
>> On 27 Feb 2004, at 21:18, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>
>>> What are the plans for upcoming releases of commons-logging?
>>>
>>> The reason I'm asking is that we would like to start using
>>> commons-logging in an applet environment. We plan on using the
>>> SimpleLog implementation to minimize the size of the download to the
>>> client. The current (1.0.3) release doesn't work in an untrusted
>>> applet. There is a patch that fixes this problem already in cvs
>>> though.
>>>
>>> There are currently 8 open bugs for commons-logging in bugzilla. Two
>>> of them includes patches by yours truly (25940 and 27124). I think
>>> that 4 of the remaining bugs (26802, 25156, 26598, 27135) should also
>>> be considered for a 1.0.4 release. However I don't yet feel confident
>>> enough with the inner workings of commons-logging to make patches for
>>> them.
>>>
>>> What are your thoughts on making a commons-logging 1.0.4 release?
>>
>> we'd someone on the jakarta pmc to volunteer to act as the release
>> manager.
>
> Even though the PMC requirement is only to approve the release, not to
> do the
> grunt work to create it, I volunteer to RM a commons-logging 1.0.4
> release.
> I'm a Jakarta PMC member, so that should assuage Robert's concerns :-).

cool :)

i'm definitely willing to help with the grunt stuff.

my particular concern is that i'm not convinced that the jakarta pmc
can (in law) approve anything at the moment. (which is why i resigned
from the pmc.) i'm also of the opinion that the ASF cannot offer legal
aid to plain committers cutting releases (in the event that the
distribution is disputed in law).

> Besides, I haven't done the RM thing on any Apache code recently, so
> it's time
> to start doing that again.  Can someone (Robert) point me at the
> latest and
> greatest process docs?

good question, this one :)

there's a bit of dispute about where the java instructions for creating
releases should be located. (now that jakarta is being un-brellar'd.)
so, i'm not really maintaining any of the documentation any more (at
least until there's some kind of consensus reached about where it
belongs).

the jakarta commons specific instructions can be found here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/index.html

this document is more cutting edge:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ReleaseManager

you'll need to create a openPGP-compatible signature for the release(i
use http://www.gnupg.org).

i've talked quite a few people through the new way for releases so
please ask away if you have any questions.

- robert