commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brent Redeker <brede...@cc.edu>
Subject Re: [all] Project consistency (was Re: [math] Re: Getting started questions)
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:04:26 GMT

On Feb 3, 2004, at 6:54 AM, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Here,here! I recommend using the maven generated, ant build.xml over
> the maven project.xml for developer building and testing. This then
> requires no dependencies on parent project.xml and it runs
> independently in just about any IDE. I reserve my own usage of Maven
> more for building site/releases, in which case you do need the
> dependency on the parent project.xml.

I think this is a good suggestion. While I was setting myself up to be
able to read/compile the sources, I really had little need to use Maven
- build.xml is enough to compile and test the math project (and I
assume Maven uses this as part of the process in creating a jar).
Still, from what I can see, Maven might have uses for things other than
just creating the web site and release builds. It downloads correct
versions of all dependency jars, saving a little bit of work. Also, I
imagine that if somebody makes documentation changes, they would need
to do a 'maven site:generate' to see what the changes actually will
look like.

Although I'm new here, this thread kind of started because of my
question. So my suggestion is that (perhaps in the Developer's Guide),
using just build.xml for development should be encouraged. But for
people who want to use Maven (for some reason or other), there could be
instructions that say exactly which files/directories need to be
checked out from jakarta-commons in addition to the
jakarta-commons/math module. This won't reduce external Maven
dependencies, though. If there really is a desire to reduce external
dependencies, could a second project.xml file be created in math that
removes references to '../project.xml'? Then Maven could be called with
'maven -p onlymath.xml' (unless I misunderstand the -p switch), and
this would be used only by developers who want less to download from
CVS.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Brent Redeker