commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <>
Subject Re: [commons-site] Alternate Horizontal Project Navigation
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:45:19 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Is this a debate about whether commons is one project or many? I had thought
> that there was general agreement to unify the commons site's look and feel.
> Maybe I was wrong.

I'm not going to argue about it either, thats fruitless. But, unifying
the look and feel doesn't mean everything looks like its one great big
singular project... I think of Commons as Modular Components, There
should be some clear boundary between them in terms of the site structure.

> My solution to the problem you describe is to add extra links to the top
> part of the navigation.
> Overview
> User guide
> Examples
> Javadoc
> Team list
> The standard maven part then follows. I certainally don't want to lose a
> large proportion of the content area to navigation as well.

This is whats currently there, the stuff I'm doing is experimental. I
expect it'll go through many incarnations and will only be used if we
reach a consensus on it. Not to worry, I won't be going in and suddenly
replacing what we've done upto now with the demo I showed.

> If you want to distinguish between project and leaving-project links on the
> left, then we should use colours to theme the areas.

Thats a good point and something we can easily do right now without
major "ripples".

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center