commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <rho...@isisnetworks.net>
Subject [codec] more granular artifacts
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:27:56 GMT
Hello,

I have now been party to the Commons Codec project being used in two
non-Jakarta projects, Apache Maven and Apache XML-RPC.  In both, the
only reason it is desirable is the Base64 codec, and in both cases the
communities involved are grudgingly introducing a dependency on
commons-codec.  I have seen members of both projects propose just
copying the source code and reusing that instead of requiring a runtime
dependency on the jar.

In order to promote the reuse of commons-codec instead of the
source-code-copy reuse strategy, I propose modifying the codec build to
create certain additional artifacts that might be more palatable to
developers in this situation.  I envision a commons-codec.jar including
everything the current one does, a commons-codec-api.jar including just
the common interfaces, a commons-codec-base64.jar including only
Base64.class, etc.  It could easily be done with the maven reactor, and
I volunteer to do the work.  Since I am not a commons committer, I
wanted to get some of your feelings on this before I plunge in.  Are
there any disadvantages to this approach I have missed?

I cross-posted to xmlrpc-dev to get the rest of the team's input on this
as well.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks