commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim O'Brien <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject Re: [codec] DecoderException superclass [WAS: StatefulDecoders]
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:56:13 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>Encoder and Decoder are similar to Reader and Writer
>>which both throw IOException.
>

> Note that this would no longer hold true in a push model codec library,
> since it would not actually perform I/O.

True, having StatefulDecoder.getDecoded() throw an IOException seems
fishy.  StatefulDecoder operates on ByteBuffers, and getDecoded() should
return an exception if there was a problem exception during encoding -
say undecodable or unexpected input.

Again, I'm not convinced that people actually use EncoderException and
DecoderException.

Tim