commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject [math] RealSolver refactoring proposal
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:37:49 GMT
I would like to propose that we simplify the UnivariateRealSolver design
as follows:

1. Eliminate the function f from the UnivariateRealSolverFactory new*
methods, adding it as a parameter to the solve() methods on the instances
instead.

2. Eliminate the "default*" fields from UnivariateRealSolverImpl (what are
these supposed to be for?  Shouldn't they be constants, if we do need them?)

3. Eliminate the "stateful" methods in UnivariateRealSolver.  What exactly
was the rationale for the stateful design?  A stateless design could
eliminate a fair amount of code (actually, UnivariateRealSolverImpl could
be completely eliminated in this case). It seems to me that the client
should be able to maintain state information about previous runs, etc.
What am I missing?

Phil