commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject Re: [commons-build] Thoughts on Navigation (client side includes).
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:05:39 GMT
Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> I've been looking a the usage of javascript in the browser as a
> mechanism of "Client Side Includes". I've been considering the idea that
> this can be used a a powerful mechanism to pull global navigation
> content into the site navigation without having to regenerate all the
> separate project pages everytime something changes on the global
> navigation for the Commons.

Why not server-side includes? Or is that not available?

> For instance
>
> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"
> src="navigation.js"></SCRIPT>
>
> could be added to the commons-site.jsl such that it would be used to
> include the contents of "navigation.js" into the navigation bar on the
> client side.

<snip/>

> This way, any time a change was made to navigation.js, it would show up
> instantly on all the commons projects navigation. as teh navigation.js
> is pull independently and rendered in the browser.
>
> thoughts?
> -Mark

I think that relying on JavaScript for such a crucial thing like
navigation is a bad idea. The idea of having a single place for the
navigation-meny is, of course, a good one. But there should be a better
way to do it.

--
Dennis Lundberg