commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian S O'Neill <brone...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: WeakIdentityMap
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:19:58 GMT
WeakIdentityMap cannot extend ReferenceMap becauase it isn't extensible
enough. Specifically, supporting keys that use System.identityHashCode()
and ==. Also, ReferenceMap removes cleared references too aggressively.

Classes like ReferenceMap and AbstractHashedMap could probably have more
extension points, but too many may impact performance. If
AbstractHashMap had more extension points, and it didn't impact
performance enough, then even ReferenceMap could extend it.

The new version of the class has the proper license, and I've adapted it
to follow coding conventions I've seen in other commons code. I'll mail
in the ASF license, write test cases, and then post to bugzilla.