commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] [id] Prefix, UUID and Host StringIdentifierGenerator
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:40:33 GMT
Alban Peignier wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>> I would suggest something more along the lines of a
>> CompositeIdentifierGenerator that could wrap an array or list of
>> IdentifierGenerators and use these to generate "composite" ids.  One
>> example of this would be a CompositeStringIdentifierGenerator that
>> uses concatenation to combine ids.  Another strategy might be
>> concatenate, then hash, etc.
> I started with the same idea .. I created a
> ConstantStringIdentifierGenerator  .. and it looks very similar to the
> functor API. Which is the difference between a
> ConstantStringIdentifierGenerator and a ConstantStringGenerator ?
> The IdentifierGenerator could be a child of the
> functor.generator.Generator. In this case, all the functor API framework
> would be available (constant, composite, ...)

This is an interesting idea.  I would be interested in others' opinions on
this.  Implementing functor.generator.Generator would be a signinficant
change to the simple IdentifierGenerator interface, but I am open to
considering it.  I can see essentially three ways to go here:

1. Make IdentifierGenerator extend functor.generator.Generator
2. Follow the pattern in the FlexiMap functor example
to make generation algorithms pluggable / composable
3. Don't use functors, use inheritance instead (more or less what I was
suggesting above)

Thinking about how to make 3 work, 2 is looking more and more attractive...

Any other ideas on how best to implement id composition?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message