commons-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject DateUtils.equals(d1, d2)
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:12:37 GMT
There was a bugzilla issue opened about this, and a brief discussion
about such, but I wanted to move it to the list for better visibility.

Basically if you have 2 date objects (e.g., java.util.Date and
java.sql.Timestamp), ObjectUtils.equals() will return that they are not
equal even if they represent the same point in time.

Unless someone objects, I was going to add DateUtils.equals(Date d1,
Date d2) and the equality check will be what's returned from each date's
getTime().  Just as an example:

long now = System.currentTimeMillis();
Date date = new java.util.Date(now);
Date ts = new java.sql.Timestamp(now);

ObjectUtils.equals(date, ts) = false; (as of 2.1)
DateUtils.equals(date, ts) = true;

Anyone have a different idea or think this is a bad idea?

--
Serge Knystautas
President