commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [vote] Separate Directory for Commons Project files
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 01:58:13 GMT

Martin Cooper wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>

>>I don't want to make this change and step on anyones foot while doing it
>>so I'll put it to a vote. To recap:
>>
>>The issue involves consolidating the global commons build and site
>>generation files into their own directory within the jakarta-commons
>>project dir.
>>
>>Here is a list of the current files:
>>
>>/jakarta-commons/xdocs/
>>/jakarta-commons/.cvsignore
>>/jakarta-commons/BUILD_DOCS.txt
>>/jakarta-commons/LICENSE
>>/jakarta-commons/LICENSE.txt
>>/jakarta-commons/build.properties.sample
>>/jakarta-commons/build.xml
>>/jakarta-commons/charter.html
>>/jakarta-commons/incl_nav.xml
>>/jakarta-commons/maven.xml
>>/jakarta-commons/navigation.vm
>>/jakarta-commons/project.xml
>

> One significant omission from this list is /jakarta-commons/combo/. Any
> discussion of centralising global build and site creation needs to take
> this into account as well.

I was avoiding anything not to do with the new Maven Build stuff,
primarily because I have no idea how many are truly dependent on it
(i.e. Craig M. or Gump etc).

I'd also note that the multiproject plugin and proper tagging of the cvs
tree may actually supersede the combo project in functionality in terms
of generating a full versioned release distribution of commons components.

>>1.) I'm suggesting the following changes initially for Maven related stuff:
>>
>>/jakarta-commons/commons-site/xdocs
>>/jakarta-commons/commons-site/project.xml
>>/jakarta-commons/commons-site/navigation.vm
>>/jakarta-commons/commons-site/maven.xml
>>/jakarta-commons/commons-site/incl_nav.xml
>>/jakarta-commons/commons-site/LICENSE.txt
>

> I don't like commons-site (or site either) because it's more than just the
> web site. I'd be more tempted to call it something like shared-build.

how about just "build" or "commons-build"?

> Note that any changes here need to preserve the ability to build
> components using 'ant clean dist', regardless of whether the component has
> been Mavenised, so that they don't break the nightly build process.
>
 > --
 > Martin Cooper

Again, this is a separate process from the Maven related build stuff. I
wasn't planning a move of the old ant build stuff.

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer