commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Global project.xml and supporting files
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:07:09 GMT
I've found in a couple other projects I've been working that take
advantage of Maven and "multiproject plugin" that having the global
project.xml and other supporting files in a "subdirectory" similar in
nature to those of the subprojects is highly beneficial.

/jakarta-commons/global-site/project.xml (etc)

/jakarta-commons/collections
/jakarta-commons/lang
/jakarta-commons/math

Benefits are the following
1.) you can checkout only the projects you want to work on individually.

2.) in IDE's like Eclipse, you can checkout the global project, then
your varioous subprojects, and the build can resolve eveything with
relative locations. This means that in Eclipse you can mountup each
subproject as a separate project, subprojects that are dependent on
eachother can be checked out and made dependent on eachother in eclipse.
The "global project" just becomes another dependency.

3.) using the Maven eclipse plugin starts to make more sense with this
organization. Because in Eclipse, the root directory of a project is
where the .project and .classpath files exist, each subproject then has
a separate .project and .classpath. Once you get the maven actually
functioning inside of Eclipse, building can be in the individual
subprojects or global project.

Thoughts and feelings? This really does make alot of sense to me.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer