commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <>
Subject Re: [all] Project consistency (was Re: [math] Re: Getting started questions)
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:54:03 GMT

Martin Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>Paul Libbrecht wrote:
>>>Ah, this question is interesting.
>>>I recently removed the dependency on the ../project.xml in Jelly
>>>because I think checking out a module should produce free-standing  things.
>>>Before being a commons-committer, I always patched the project.xml so
>>>as to get rid of the project inheritance (which is only for a handful
>>>of ownership information for the website anyways).
>>These are good points. I would be +1 for doing this for [math].
> -1
> This seems like a bad idea to me. The whole point of doing this was to get
> some consistency across Commons components. Remember that Commons is ONE
> Jakarta subproject.  It is not, and was never intended to be, a bunch of
> independent projects. As such, it should have a consistent build system,
> and a consistent web site. That is not going to happen if all of the
> components start breaking away from the commonality we have managed to
> introduce so far.
> --
> Martin Cooper

Here,here! I recommend using the maven generated, ant build.xml over the
maven project.xml for developer building and testing. This then requires
no dependencies on parent project.xml and it runs independently in just
about any IDE. I reserve my own usage of Maven more for building
site/releases, in which case you do need the dependency on the parent