commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: "Straw man" release plan
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:59:06 GMT

> As I understand load(double[][]) would compute Empirical Distribution
> Function for every bootstraped sample (provided from some other source).
> Then, instead of having
>
> SummaryStatistics sampleStats
>
> we should provide
>
> SummaryStatistics[] sampleStats
>
> where this array would contain SummaryStatistics calculated
> for every sample.  SummaryStatistics getSampleStats() would
> be changed as well.
>
> Similarly other methods/objects in EmpiricalDistribution
> would have to be modified (e.g. binStats would have to be
> an array of ArrayLists, etc.).
>
> Do I get your intentions right?

No, I was thinking that EmpiricalDistribution could be used to model the
bootstrap distribution of a statistic directly.  So, e.g., to compute
bootstrap confidence intervals for a statistic S, the method would be:
1. Compute N values of S based on bootstrap samples.  Call the resulting
N-length double array sHat[].
2. Load an EmpiricalDisribution using sHat[].
3. Use the percentiles of the EmpiricalDistribution to compute confidence
intervals (ideally including bias correction. Cf. Efron & Tibshirani,
_Intro to the Bootstrap_, chs. 13-14).

<snip/>

> Two comments concerning EmpiricalDistribution
> 1. Probably it would be nice to have load(double[]) method

Yes.  Needed for above.  Patches welcome :-)

> 2. Instead of
>    ArrayList getBinStats();
> there could be
>    List getBinStats();