commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:55:39 GMT
On 16 Feb 2004, at 02:52, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 11:43, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> On 12 Feb 2004, at 06:25, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

>> the second is the state of the code. i'm of the opinion that the
>> digester team has been at fault in not releasing often enough. so i'd
>> be happy to push towards a quick 1.6 if a suitable volunteer could be
>> found. there are a number of extra features i'd really like to see in
>> digester but i don't regard them as blockers.
>
> Ouch. The "digester team" is really you + me, and mostly you. [Though
> Craig did pop up again recently].

craig's the spiritual leader of digester. he's sometimes busy and
sometimes very busy but he's (in many ways) irreplaceable.

but the team is really much wider: jakarta commons is (or intends to
be) a single community. we're one big team here. if you (or any other
commons committer) want to make a contribution to any other component,
all you have to do is ask and then add yourself to the list of
committers for that component. there are dozen or so pmc members in the
commons teams who have the skills to cut releases.

> Is there anyone out there willing to be the release manager for
> Digester
> version 1.6? I'm happy to do most of the work, but have not been
> involved in any commons release before.

it's up to you but i'm not willing to cast binding release votes.

i know it's hard but things in jakarta (and the ASF) are changing. like
a supertanker, it takes a long time to change direction but once it
starts to happen, the process gains an unstoppable momentum of it's
own. if it's to survive, jakarta will have to find ways to allow
projects to create releases in the new structure. once that's sorted
out, then there should be ways to release digester and beanutils (and
betwixt, logging and the rest).

if you feel strongly enough about releasing digester (and have some
flameproof boots ;) once the preparation work is finished, you could
think about petitioning the jakarta pmc about supplying an official
release manager.

- robert