commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Resources] Presence vs. contrib
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:01:13 GMT

--- Martin Cooper <martinc@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, David Graham wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't that require that the jars for each implementation be
> distributed
> > with commons-resources as well?  There are quite a few jars for
> Hibernate
> > alone.  IMO, contrib is the best place for them so we don't bloat the
> main
> > code base with each implementation.  People can grab just the one they
> > need.
>
> There would be a single Resources jar, containing all implementations,
> but
> that doesn't mean that we distribute Hibernate or anything else along
> with
> it. (Commons Logging, for example, supports several different loggers,
> but
> doesn't distribute them.)

Where do we draw the line on which implementations to include in the
standard resources distro?  Hibernate is a great library and the single
most popular Java persistence framework but it's not a standard or from
Apache.  What about smaller XYZ implementations that aren't nearly as
widely used?

As long as we don't distribute Hibernate jars with commons resources I'm
ok with including it but we may choose to put every non-standard
implementation in contrib for simplicity.

David