commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [codec] StatefulDecoders
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2004 07:13:13 GMT
Hi,

I've been working on the idea of stateful Decoders designed for use with
non-blocking reads where buffers are read from channels and used by
decoders.  As you know you don't always get the complete PDU in a single
channel read and so buffers need to be handled in a decoding session.

This JIRA issue contains attachments explaining the new interface:

http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?id=13599

First I would like to figure out what the codec people think about this
stateful decoder concept and then perhaps we can add the interfaces into the

codec for general use.

Also I'm wondering if we can make the DecoderException and the
EncoderException extend the IOException reather than just Exception.
Most of these operations are IO based and it makes sense to me to have the
Exception derive from IOException.

Alex