commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@micropole-univers.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] Refactor AbstractConfiguration(Configuration defaults)
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:33:15 GMT
Eric Pugh wrote:

> True..  But, you could grab the propertiesConfiguration out of the composite
> and save it..  I think the composite should be looked at as a read only
> "thing" because saving has too many odd ramifications..

What kind of ramifications? I was planning to experiment the addition of
a save() method on the CompositeConfiguration class.

> And, at least, the one user who mentioned the
> AbstractConfiguration(Configuration conf) is actually using a
> CompositeConfig anyway, and needs that exact same problem solved..

Let's deprecate it and wait for user feedback after the 1.0 release
maybe? This constructor is inherited from the java.util.Properties
constructor using a default properties, people migrating their code
might expect this similarity. It's already there, well tested, not
causing much troubles and easy to use, for these reasons I would keep it.

Emmanuel