commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <>
Subject Re: [vote] Separate Directory for Commons Project files
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:25:12 GMT
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> I don't want to make this change and step on anyones foot while doing it
> so I'll put it to a vote. To recap:
> The issue involves consolidating the global commons build and site
> generation files into their own directory within the jakarta-commons
> project dir.
> Here is a list of the current files:
> /jakarta-commons/xdocs/
> /jakarta-commons/.cvsignore
> /jakarta-commons/BUILD_DOCS.txt
> /jakarta-commons/LICENSE
> /jakarta-commons/LICENSE.txt
> /jakarta-commons/
> /jakarta-commons/build.xml
> /jakarta-commons/charter.html
> /jakarta-commons/incl_nav.xml
> /jakarta-commons/maven.xml
> /jakarta-commons/navigation.vm
> /jakarta-commons/project.xml

One significant omission from this list is /jakarta-commons/combo/. Any
discussion of centralising global build and site creation needs to take
this into account as well.

> 1.) I'm suggesting the following changes initially for Maven related stuff:
> /jakarta-commons/commons-site/xdocs
> /jakarta-commons/commons-site/project.xml
> /jakarta-commons/commons-site/navigation.vm
> /jakarta-commons/commons-site/maven.xml
> /jakarta-commons/commons-site/incl_nav.xml
> /jakarta-commons/commons-site/LICENSE.txt

I don't like commons-site (or site either) because it's more than just the
web site. I'd be more tempted to call it something like shared-build.

Note that any changes here need to preserve the ability to build
components using 'ant clean dist', regardless of whether the component has
been Mavenised, so that they don't break the nightly build process.

Martin Cooper

> ---
> This change would require the project.xml's for each project in both the
> jakarta-commons and jakarta-commons-sandbox to have its extends tag
> adjusted and any relative references to "commons-site" files adjusted.
> This change will be done within the cvs directory of the server to
> maintain historical info on the changes to these files.
> -Mark

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message