commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] Details on Cutting the release
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:26:43 GMT
--- "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Al Chou wrote:
>
> > --- "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > [deletia]
> >

> >>*jar release* (jar)

> > [deletia]
> >

> >>So the jar has no tests and no experimental code within it.
> >>

> >>Any Comments?
> >>
> >>-Mark
> >

> > Sorry to chime in so late, but my preference would be to include the tests
> no
> > matter which release package it is.  They serve as examples of using the
> code,
> > even if one decided to suspect them as a validation of the correctness of
> the
> > code (which is up to the individual user).  I know that may seem to
> hybridize
> > all release packages, but if it were standard to include test source with
> all
> > our release packages, it maybe wouldn't seem like they were hybrids as much
> as
> > it would be just an additional form of documentation.
> >

> > Al
>
> Yes Al, we should plan to include the src/test java files into the
> source and binary tar/zip distributions. But (IMHO) the
> commons-math-1.0.jar itself is strictly just the api. I think this is
> the standard way that commons projects are packaged.
>
> -Mark

I guess the jar file distribution is for when you need to grab a library you
already know you depend on, without getting anything else -- say, when you're
installing an already-written app that depends on a jar, and that jar didn't
come with the app.  That makes sense to me, I've certainly needed that sort of
packaging enough times myself!

Al