commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [beanutils] [PROPOSAL] create optional package
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:49:02 GMT
On 23 Feb 2004, at 13:32, David Graham wrote:
> --- "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:

<snip>

>> Grumble grumble ... this is not technically possible without breaking
>> backwards
>> compatibility on the public APIs.  We should have caught the fact that
>> PropertyUtils.getMappedDescriptors() returns FastHashMap instead of
>> Map.
>>
>> Unless someone has bright ideas on how to fix this, I think we're
>> stuck
>> with a
>> commons-collections dependency.
>
> Can't we just do the normal deprecate, replace, remove cycle?  Add
> versions of those methods that return a generic Map and deprecate the
> FastHashMap versions.  We can't remove the dependency in this release
> but
> we can after deprecating.

i'd probably like to review all the interfaces before another release
so that we can make sure that the abstractions are right before
freezing them. this could be part of that process. i'm making good
progress with betwixt so maybe we could start this process sometime
soonish.

i'd like to move towards a collections-free beanutils even it can't all
be done at once. i'd definitely like to move the classes which
implement collection interfaces into an optional build even if we can't
remove the dependency until a future version.

- robert