commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Todd V. Jonker" <t...@consciouscode.com>
Subject Re: [lang] split & join
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:47:54 GMT
Stick with split, otherwise users will have to remember the difference
between split and divide or chop or hack or cut or slice or some other
arbitrary word.  The slight semantic difference is far from obvious in
the name.

This is why I am constantly digging through the [lang] API docs to
remember the difference between (for example) clean() and trim() and
strip().  There are subtle semantic differences hidden, none of which are
indicated by the method names, which are all equally arbitrary and
generic.  I find it continually frustrating.  Let's not make that mistake
again.

.T.

--
Todd V. Jonker