commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: [digester] Enhancing CallMethodRule to take target offset
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:26:40 GMT
On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 12:07, Joe Germuska wrote:
> Since you've already got working code, take this as just something to
> think about -- but I recently was wishing for a map to complement the
> stack; some place to put objects under names and then have other
> rules refer to those objects by name.
>
> I ended up using the SpringFramework XMLBeanFactory for this case,
> but it may be an idea of interest to other Digester users.
>
> To be honest, besides getting the ability to use objects by name, I
> also appreciated not having to write a digester rules file.  (Well, I
> had already written one because I started using Digester until I got
> to the point where the stack didn't really work for me.)  Most of the
> time I'm just instantiating objects, setting properties, and relating
> the objects to other, and writing those XML rule files gets kind of
> tedious.
>
> This is not to say that Digester should drop everything to "compete"
> with the XMLBeanFactory.  I just thought I'd share an interesting
> alternative solution.
>
> If a Map for Digester would be interesting to other folks, I might
> take a crack at it some time after I get through with my current
> project...

Hi Joe,

This all sounds interesting, but I'm not entirely sure what it means.

When I get a little time I will have a peek at SpringFramework's
XMLBeanFactory. Or if you could summarise where it differs from Digester
that would be great...

I don't really understand how XMLBeanFactory can get away without the
equivalent of Digester's rules, unless the java class names, attribute
names, etc *must* map 1:1 with the xml element/attribute names.

Cheers,

Simon