commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Relicensing to the Apache License 2.0 ?
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 07:37:00 GMT
Quoting Henri Yandell <bayard@generationjava.com>:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > On 4 Feb 2004, at 19:52, Henri Yandell wrote:
> >
> > > licensing@apache.org
> >
> > IIRC i think licensing is closed. i think license is open. (hopefully
> > someone will correct me if i'm wrong)

It's the other way around.  The "license" list was for discussion of the 2.0
license during its development (over almost two years).  The "licensing" list
is for general questions about licensing and ASF.

> Sounds good. I couldn't find anything on the website about it [the legal
> page should specify it I would have thought]. I didn't check the mail2
> page though.

I can save you some time though, in answer to the original question on this
thread.  The relicensing is occuring on the copy of the code that has already
been contributed to the ASF (and carries an ASF copyright).  Anything an
original contributor wants to do on their own (with their own rights to the
original code) is independent of, and irrelevant to, this relicensing.  No
retroactive request for relicensing permission is needed -- it was granted in
the first place when the contributor allowed the code to be copyrighted by
ASF.

> Hen

Craig McClanahan
(Jakarta PMC Member)