commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] CallMethodRule order [bug12997] attn: Emmanuel, Craig
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:35:03 GMT
On 26 Feb 2004, at 15:15, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

> I don't really understand Craig's comments re "hierarchical
> structure that is isomorphic to a tree of beans that is being created".

the association graph for a bean is often a tree with secondary beans
being properties from a primary bean. the elements in xml (ignoring
ID/IDREFs) also form a tree. a very common use case is when the element
-> bean transformation is an isomorphism. in other words, when there is
a one-to-one correspondence between elements and beans.

i think maybe an example would help (some properties suppressed):

AlphaBean
	getBeta:BetaBean
	getGamma:GammaBean

GammaBean
	getEpsilon:EpsilonBean

and this kind of thing:

<alpha>
	<beta/>
	<gamma>
		<epsilon/>
	</gamma>
</alpha>

i think that craig's point is that CallMethodRule is aimed at this very
common use case and that it'd be better to add another rule that
performs another function for other use cases. this has the advantage
of reducing the complexity of the code and also makes it easier for the
user to find the functionality they require.

(hopefully he'll jump in about now if i've misrepresented his opinions
;)

- robert