commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Piotr Kochański" ...@uw.edu.pl>
Subject [math] Re: bootstrap confidence intervals
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:03:34 GMT
Phil Steitz napisał(a):

> Excellent points. We would appreciate any other comments (or patches :-)
> that you have on the code or algorithms in [math].

Calculation of confidence intervals using bootstrap
is a bit complicated, so I started with Standard Error -
basically, one might calculate bootstrap CI using such SE,
however this is often not good enough in practice.

In order to calculate CI in a right way a fast algorithm
for calculation of normal distribution function is
needed, it is not present in commons-math (as far as
I can remember I send some code doing this to
a dev mailing list).

I attach classes, which calculate SE using bootstrap,
if you are interested in adding this code please let me know,
I will have to clean the code, javadoc and write tests.
All information about package organization, etc. would be
helpfull as well.

Here I put everything into o.a.c.math.stat.bootstrap
package.

The short description goes below:

Test class shows the usage of bootstrap to calculate
Standard Error.

Bootstrap class does actual resampling - it provides also
a method that returns an array of values of some
statistics calculated for every sample.

StandardError is an interface that is common for
all possible ways of calculating standard error.
MeanStandardError and BootstrapStandardError implements
this interface to calculate SE in a particular situation.

The usage is the follwing:
StandardError bse = new BootstrapStandardError();

((BootstrapStandardError)bse).setB(200);

bse.setStat(new Mean());
System.out.println("se for the mean (bootstrap): " +
bse.getStandardError(valSmall));
bse.setStat(new Median());
System.out.println("se for the median (bootstrap): " +
bse.getStandardError(valSmall));

StandardError se = new MeanStandardError();
se.setStat(new Mean());
System.out.println("se for the mean (standard formula): " +
se.getStandardError(valSmall));

System.out.println("---");
//this requieres patching the Mean class
Mean m = new Mean();
m.setStandardError(bse);
System.out.println("se for the mean (bootstrap thru Mean): " +
m.getStandardError(valSmall));

I would add Confidence Intervals calculation code in
a similar way, if this is ok. for you.

Regards

Piotr Kochanski