commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Feeler question for new commons project
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:00:45 GMT
I would like to see about getting the Avalon Event package migrated to commons,
which really has little to do with Avalon itself.  In contrast to the current
Jakarat Commons Event package, the Avalon Event package is developed with the
Staged Event Driven Architecture (SEDA) style programming in mind.

It includes the core classes for setting up a CommandManager which will accept
commands from many sources and run them in a small pool of threads (powered by
Doug Lea's excellent thread management utilities).  That pool of threads can
be sized relative to the number of processors, and it has other necessary tools
to create a set of stages with events piped through it.  There is also a managed
pool that uses the CommandManager to manage the size of the pool in the
background.

Considering that these things are necessary for Avalon projects, but it is not
the core art there, I believe that this community would be the best location
for it.  I want to make sure that this community would be willing to host it
(of course I would help sponser it and maintain it as necessary), but that it
would stand a better chance of getting a community behind it to make it more
robust.