commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: new project question
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 04:21:00 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> Oliver Heger wrote:
> > I am working on a SQL generator library and would like to donate it to
> > an open source community. I think it would fit into Jakarta Commons.

As Robert said, perhaps it would fit better into DB Commons.  Several things
from Jakarta Commons may move as well (a comment based simply upon my
observation of people having said that before).

Personally, I think the project sounds interesting, and I might use it if it
were available, but I have no time to put into such a project.  I hope that
others do, and express interest.

> traditionally, it's usually quite hard for foreign codebases to be
> accepted into apache. it's often said that it's the quality of the
> community around the code that's more important than the quality of the
> code itself.

To be clear, if there is an ASF community wanting to adopt a code base, or
an external community with ASF sponsorship, the Incubator will help to make
sure that it happens.  So this process would be "difficult" only if there is
no community willing to support the codebase.

Another possible venue would be codehaus.org, which does care about quality
code, but does not have the same community requirements.

	--- Noel