commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [betwixt] Status of Betwixt
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 21:19:00 GMT
i've now realized that releasing the alpha was a major mistake: it
should have been a 0.1 release. it's reasonable solid as far as it
goes.

the problem is that the code needs a *lot* of refactoring before the
functionality that consider the minimal for a full release can be
added. there's also going to be a lot of deprecated code that will need
to be removed before it's ready. this means that probably one or two
minor 0.x releases would be needed. (a secondary issue is that now i'm
not on the pmc i don't feel able to cast binding vote on legally
important issues or cut releases so even if the work was done, someone
else would need to act as release manager.)

i've been working on a major refactoring of betwixt for a long time now
but i've also got a number of local versions with extra bits and pieces
in. unfortunately, too much of my time has been taken up with jakarta
stuff in the last few months and i haven't been able to sort out this
mess :(

now that i've finished with that, i should have more coding time :)

i've made some progress on the refactoring recently but i've neglected
a lot of other projects i'm interested in and have a lot of catching up
to do.

realistically i'm not going to be in a position to put the refactored
stuff in cvs for a while yet. (i'm very committed to backwards
compatibility and the final details of the design aren't clear in my
mind yet though the broad outline is). if there's interest from other
committers i could think about tidying the refactored stuff up and
putting it into a branch so that we can talk about the design.

- robert