commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [commons] archives assistance
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:03:39 GMT
i suspect that some folks (tetsuya kitahata is the one that springs to
mind) are able to work wonders with the raw mbox from apache. i think
that he uses perl scripts (or something like that).

i've always thought that it'd be really cool to push my (extensive)
personal mail archives into a database and write some kind of front end
to allow advanced queries (but this has never really got further than a
thought).

if you've got an advanced email client (like the one that comes with
macOSX) then one option would be to download the whole mbox and run an
imap server from it. you then use the email sorting engine to filter
all '[configuration]' emails into a single folder.

email archives are repositories of knowledge and automated analysis of
email archives is something that seems like to grow in importance. i've
always wondered whether analytic facilities could be added to james (or
maybe they're already there, i just haven't look deep enough).

- robert