commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: new project proposal: Type Conversion Library
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:53:42 GMT

Howdy,

>Just firing up random thoughts here (drilled down into my head a few
>inches), but suppose you could use your private TypeConverter, then
>you could
>
>1) Again, provide a converter for configurations from String,
>ConfigurationEntry, or whatever, to the user's desired type.  Say
>foo.properties:
>component.factory=some.package.with.Factory

It's not that I need many converters but would rather keep them in their
own classes.  It's that I don't need many converters at all.  Like
everyone else, I've had to use valueOf/parseInt/toArray/asList every now
and then, mostly to deal with data type differences from 3rd party
libraries.  But not much, certainly not enough to come up with a special
library for it.  Don't mistake this for a strong -1 vote.  I see why you
want it, I just haven't had a need for it, so I wanted to see your
reasoning -- thanks for sharing it ;)

Yoav Shapria