commons-dev mailing list archives

From peter royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [jelly] Expressions and custom Tags
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:08:47 GMT
On Jan 26, 2004, at 12:34 PM, Vincenz Braun wrote:
> Take for example the email tag. Almost all attributes(like to and from)
> have changed from String to Expression. Why is this necessary?
> Do I have to change all my Tags attributes to Expression? Whats
> the reason for this change? (There was a respective bug report
> JELLY-63)
>
> The documentation states that all attributes are evaluated at runtime
> and the properties are set to the respective values automatically.
> Is this still correct? Then I can not see why it is necessary to do
> this
> magic stuff again, and again in the tags itself and why such a change
> in
> EmailTag was necessary and the former version was considered a buggy.

I'm not certain why the change was made, but from a high-level the two
approaches should be identical.

The main reason you would change from String (or whatever) to
Expression is if you want to capture the Expression for later
evaluation, or evaluation multiple times (with a different
JellyContext)
-pete