commons-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: [JIRA][Bugzilla][HttpClient] should I stay or should I go?
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:25:21 GMT
Oleg,

Sorry, I thought many of these points were addressed in the general
discussion about commons and JIRA.  I will respond specifically to each
of your questions below...

olegk@bluewin.ch wrote:
> * Do you actually encourage migration from Bugzilla to JIRA? Will it
> make the task of to administering and supporting projects'
> infrastructure (issue tracking in the first place) easier for you?

No, we will not encourage.

> * Can existing bug reports (including closed ones) be migrated to JIRA
> in their entirety, if at all? What kind of data would not be migrated
> automatically? Would existing user accounts be preserved?

Yes, existing bug reports can be transfered in their entirety.  There is
a data migration process.  All accounts would also be preserved,
although after the conversion, if you change your password in one place
(JIRA or bugzilla), it won't change in the other.

> * We (HttpClient committers & contributors) have been in fact quite
> satisfied with Bugzilla so far. It has served us well. The only thing we
> have found constraining is the release management (versions, milestones,
> etc).

Agreed, release management is really the kicker for why I wanted it for
the James project and why I've been (slowly) getting JIRA running.

 > As an alternative to migration to JIRA would it be possible to
> promote HttpClient from a component of Jakarta-commons project to a full
> fledged top level project with its own set of versions and milestones?
> HttpClient has already got its own mailing list. HttpClient related
> content constitutes 20-30% Bugzilla entries for the Jakarta-commons
> project. I believe this might be the best option, as least as far as we
> are concerned. I am just not sure it is technically feasible.

I don't know who or if anybody maintains the bugzilla info.  I would
send just this request to the infrastructure mailing list and hopefully
someone can help.

--
Serge Knystautas
President