commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim O'Brien <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject Re: [codec] More thoughts on CharSets and Encoders (references: R E: [codec] Streamable Codec Framework)
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:40:10 GMT
A +1 for Craig's comments.

If there are users who still have 1.2 requirements going forward, I say
should say to them, you need to take it upon yourself to make the case
for an upgrade, or work actively in this community to write components
that work with 1.2.

The most important phrase in Craig's email was:  "As such, I'm
personally not interested in working on any revolutionary Struts or
Commons designs that do not presume at least J2SE 1.4 / J2EE 1.4 as the
base platform as the minimum requirement."  I am of the same persuasion,
and if we create a community in which developers do not want to
participate, we're working ourselves out of existence.  And, I believe
that is what we are seeing right now.

Tim