commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Apache Maven Repository Location
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:43:23 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>1.) they should be either symlinked in java-repository to the jars
>>directory and your maven project-id.
>

> That works.
>

>>2.) you should migrate your publishing of jar distributions to
>>/java-repository/your-project-id.
>

> Migrating publication of jar files to that exclusive location would make it
> more difficult for people who don't use maven to find what they want.
>
> 	--- Noel

Such individuals are going for the tar/zip's anyways, are they not?

But if your using maven to resolve dependencies and publish with, then
your jars are going to be ending up in repository.

If you look at Jakarta Commons for instance, all the jars are published
to maven exclusively. And directories such as

/www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/* are devoted to tar/zip's.

so in the past where Jakarta-Commons was publishing tar/zip's to:

/www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/*

and publishing jars to:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven

now they can just publish the jars to

/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/commons-projectId/jars

without dealing with accounts or requests to ibiblio. The only reason I
can see for jar's to exist (outside of tar/zip) in the dist directory is
so they are accessible through maven in java-repository.

If you were making requests to ibiblio to publish your jars in the
repository, now you don't have to, just deploy them into
java-repository, it gets mirrored to ibiblio, a script processes it into
the global maven repository on their end. It just seems more sensible
this way to me.

The point is (IMHO) you have a choice where your "jar" distributions
will show up now, (1) in the maven repository, or (2) in your specific
dist directory with a symlink into java-repository. The former is
actually much easier to maintain by maven users, the later should only
be for those who aren't interested in using maven. But even in the later
case there is a shell script which Jason wrote for publishing into
java-repository if they so choose.

-Mark
--
Mark Diggory