commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver.He...@t-online.de (Oliver Heger)
Subject [dbutils]QueryInterface
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:52:35 GMT
Hello,

I am working on a kind of SQL SELECT generator library. The basic idea
is that you have an object representing the query to be performed. You
add objects for the fields to be retrieved and feed it with condition
objects. Finally it returns a fully initialized PreparedStatement object.

I would now like to use [dbutils] to execute the queries, but I have the
problem that none of the query() methods of QueryRunner really fits my
needs because I have already a PreparedStatement. To solve this, would
it be possible to introduce a Query interface in [dbutils], which could
look as follows:

public interface Query {
    PreparedStatement getStatement(Connection conn) throws SQLException;
}

Then there could be an additional query() method in QueryRunner that
expects such a Query object as argument. It would fetch the statement
from this object and execute it.

I know that you try to keep [dbutils] small. This interface would not
really add new functionality to this component, but may extent its
usage. What do you think?

If there is interest, I can try to provide a patch.

Regards
Oli