commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Commons Multipart MIME?
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:34:18 GMT
Hmm. Seems there are a few areas of focus here that it would be good to
clarify.

1.) Mime-types

Maintaining mappings for mimetypes.

2.) Multipart Mime Codecs

Maintaining Multipart Encoding in the various multipart mimetypes.

3.) Architecture

Providing datastructures for efficient processing of Multipart content
with java.io (Files, Readers/Writers and Input/OutputStreams).

Anything else?

-Mark

Martin Cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>

>>I don't have a direct need for a MIME type component myself, but this
>>certainly sounds widely popular and useful.
>>
>>I would however suggest starting in the sandbox with a dependency on
>>[codec]. That way you'll have more freedom of design to start with, and not
>>block releases of [codec]. You may find that once complete you merge the
>>mime code into codec, or you may find not. But leave that decision until
>>later.
>

> +1. I was thinking along the same lines myself. Perhaps we start out in
> the sandbox as [mime], and then when we have our act together, we can have
> a discussion about merging with [codec] or not. (I have a feeling that a
> full MIME library would rather swamp the rest of Codec, at least as it is
> today, but we can talk about that later, when we actually have code. ;)
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

>>Stephen

Mark Diggory