commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [collections] What is left to do for 3.0?
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:25:28 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Phil Steitz wrote:
>

>>Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>>
>>>The [collections] CVS has been tidied up prior to a 3.0 release today. The
>>>CVS now only contains those classes to be released in a 3.0. These are all I
>>>know of:
>>>
>>>- Should PriorityQueue be deprecated? (Buffer effectively replaces it)
>>
>>+1
>

> Yep, be aggressive.
>

>>>- Add CaseInsensitiveMap?
>>
>>I don't want to hold up the release. If we are actually ready to cut RC1
>>now, it is probably better to hold off on adding anything new.  The class
>>is trivial, however, so if we expect a little span time between now and
>>actual release, we might want to add it now.
>

> How long does CaseInsensitiveMap need?

I could commit this eve. if that's what we want to do.

>>>Do we just RC1 and then release, or do we need a public Beta? (I favour the
>>>former)
>>
>>What has [collections] done in the past?
>

> The RC1 from memory. We should [though wouldn't] be able to rename the
> RC1 if it's good, so the CaseInsensitiveMap bit shouldn't magically appear
> in the released version.

I agree that there should be no API changes after RC1. Given that Stephen
was not thrilled with the API, it might be best to leave it out for now,
especially since this is very easy for users to implement themselves (with
any kind of behavior they want) by extending AbstractHashedMap (or HashedMap).

Otherwise, things look pretty good to me at this point.

Phil