commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [collections][lang] 2004
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2004 03:14:04 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I am planning on running licence update scripts across [collections] and
> [lang].
>
> Any objections to the all file approach? Every file will get the same
> copyright dates.

The guidlines here http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html

say

" Committers should update the copyright notice on the Apache License to
include the current year when they revise a source file. If it is 2002,
and you revise a source file from 1999, change the copyright notice in the
license to cite "1999, 2002". If the file was from 2001, we would change
it to 2001-2002. And so forth. This will happen most often in the early
part of a year, but maintenance of the copyright date should occur
year-round, as needed."

That would indicate to me that what we should be doing is updating the
notices when we change files.  One thing that we probably do *not* want to
do is to just replace the 2003 references with 2004, since that would make
the files from 2003 look like their protection began in 2004.

Is there an ASF policy on this?

Phil