commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [collections] BinaryHeap and PriorityQueue
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:43:47 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> I am happy for Buffer to exist in [collections]  (although I wish the
> methods were peek and pop)

Yeah.  Like a queue ;-).

 > Given a choice I would deprecate PQ altogether.

That would make things simpler.

> Your change will need to be applied to both BinaryBuffer and BinaryHeap,
> unless we make BinaryHeap wrap a BinaryBuffer (maintaining the old
> interface).

For now, I am making the change to both (and both tests).

I would like to consider, however either

a) deprecate both PQ and BinaryHeap (rationale: we implement what are
effectivley queues in the buffer package)

b) change BinaryHeap to wrap a BinaryBuffer

I guess I ultimately favor a).

> I am +1 on renaming to PriorityBuffer.

I agree.

Phil