commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <ggreg...@seagullsw.com>
Subject RE: [uid] Uuid
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:53:48 GMT
Hello,

Sun's naming recommendation [1] are not consistent IMO. I would also think
that we [lang], [id], etc should be able to expand on them just as we are
expanding and complementing the JRE.

Sun does suggest using caps with examples like URL and HTML, but does not
always follow their own conventions [2], even in 1.4 [3]. Sun's Javamail
even has oddball class names like text_html and text_xml.

For class names, Sun says to use mixed case name and ACRONYMS and for
statics, use uppercase with underscores (MAX_WIDTH). Does this mean that we
should have class names like XML_DOM_ReaderThing? I doubt it! ;-)

Gary

[1] http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc8.html#367
[2] Html11Writer, HtmlDocWriter, HtmlStandardWriter, HtmlWriter
(com.sun.tools.doclets)
[3] java.util.prefs.XmlSupport